Profile: Sand Point Naval Station Commissary

June 4th, 2007 @ 6:44 pm by Cliffe | Sorted Historic Buildings |
Be fore getting to this profile, I have to apologize
nolvadex steroids
for the relative lack of activity.
cheap prescription zithromax
I’m still in the midst of moving and have no Internet access until Wed. Posting this from work — I’m such a rebel. Anyway, let’s concentrate on the old Sand Point Naval Air Station Commissary Store, which was located at the Warren G. Magnuson Park boat ramp entrance.
nolvadex prescription
It’s now gone. It was torn down in January (you can check out the Seattle Times story on the demolition over here). Luckily, I was able to take some shots just days before it was taken down for good. It was built in 1943 and the Commissary was shut down in 1995.
Looks like Seattle Parks & Recreation is planning to turn the site into ball fields, trails, and marsh ponds. Click on the images for a larger view:
magnuson_park_commissary_01.jpg magnuson_park_commissary_02.jpg
Back side exterior of the building. Most windows had been smashed and debris littered the site. Front entrance. Graffiti covered most of this side of the building.
magnuson_park_commissary_03.jpg magnuson_park_commissary_04.jpg
Interior of the building. I was unable to travel any further in to the center of the structure due to the asbestos. Right side of the building. This is the face of the building that could be seen from the Magnuson Park road heading to the water.
magnuson_park_commissary_05.jpg magnuson_park_commissary_06.jpg
Alternate angle of the back of the structure. Some of the demolition crew told me that former Navy officers who had been stationed at Sand Point attended the demolition ceremony. Vintage Commissary Store sign. It looks as though no attempt was made to match the yellow paint during graffiti removal.

25 Responses to “Profile: Sand Point Naval Station Commissary”

1. Ryan says:

Thanks for posting this; my grandfather worked at that commissary during parts of WWII.

2. [...] of the old Sand Point Naval Air Station Commissary building. If you haven’t yet, check out my original post on the imminent demolition. Sure enough, it’s gone. Way gone. Not even so much as a piece of rubble to remind anyone [...]

3. Pete Skirbunt says:

I’m the historian for the Defense Commissary Agency, and Ryan’s response caught my eye…

During the war the building was a seaplane hangar. So if Ryan’s grandfather worked in the base commissary during World War II, he actually worked in a different building….

nonetheless, anything Ryan might remember about his grandfather working in the base commissary would be much appreciated.

4. Steve Hilby says:

I just saw this site on the web. I worked at the commissary as a bag boy during the summer of 1974, after graduating from college. There were 12 lines, or registers, and 2 of us worked each line. About half were retirees, the rest were usually kids 16 and up. One retiree was in charge of who worked the lines, and the lucky few whom he chose worked the same line every day. Besides the 24 of us regulars, there were always another dozen or so, usually kids, waiting along the wall for one of us either to not show up, or to take a break, or to leave early.
    As to the ladies who ran the registers, they were the fastest clerks you ever saw. And the registers were the old style manual ones. the ladies were quick, and we were expected to keep up with them, which was a real chore. But you either did, or you would find yourself in the line along the wall.

5. TiewKeple says:

If you’re sitting in a swivel chair, spin [url=http://mrappliances.info/appliance] around [/url] singing “The Lion Sleeps Tonight” whenever there is processing time required.

6. Horrepogemi says:

We just went to see UP 3D! Though it was Monday and 9:50 it was packed! More tickets were sold that they could handle But the movie was so worth it! I Recommend!

7. Gundeflan says:

I want to listen good music. Help me please.

8. Larry Witt says:

Was stationed at Sandpoint for 2 years 1976-1977. Great place. The commissary photos bring back memories. Went back for a visit in 2007 had been 30 years, but seemed like yesterday as I walked around the base. Best duty station ever.

9. Kevin says:

I don’t know what half of the gibberish that people have posted in the comments here is all about. Looks like you have some kinda’ SPAM counter. I am greatly saddened by the demolition of ANY of the buildings on the site of the old Sand Point Naval Air Station. Even worse is that no one seems to give a damn about this great Air Station. They just want to erect another rock climbing wall or a Swallow sanctuary or anything else that has little to nothing to do with what this area once was. Ever since the great migration of Californians to the North end of Seattle the things I treasure as a kid have been removed and demolished in favor of the modernization of Seattle. Good day and clean up your ” Response “area here. It looks like shit. and is a disgrace to Naval Aviation and Seattle History.. Good day.

10. I was stationed at the base on light duty for one year from 1977 to 1978. I was advanced in rate to EM-1 in May 1978 and the CO Lockwood was present for the presentation. I still have my framed advancement certificate with the date and the CO’s signature and a photo of the presentation. I was also discharged at Sandpoint NSA in December of 1975. That was my first experience with the base and I liked it. I reenlisted in 1977 from civilian life and was stationed at Seattle at piers 90 and 91 on the USS Conquest MSO-488. I was injured onboard and had to be transfered to a Naval Hospital for recovery and healing. I later had to choose where I wanted to go for temporary light duty for about one year; and I chose NSA Sandpoint. So I got my choice and was a happy camper for about one year and than I was reevaluated for return to full duty and was transfered to sea duty aboard the USS Moctobi ATF-105 homeported at Everett, Wash. I always used the base exchange and comissary during my four years of Naval duty in the area. I visited the base in the spring of 2004 or 2005 and looked at all the buildings still standing. The only major building that was gone was the BOQ and Officers Club where I worked during my one year of light duty. I had heard that it had burned down a few years prior. I spent most of the time at the BOQ standing front desk Officers check in and out watches and repainting the whole inside of the building. It was a pretty old building and I don’t know when it was built. I remember several of the civilians who worked at the BOQ and O Club including a lovely lady named Bobbie who was the O Club manager. I also remember a guy named Bernie who also had his own office. I was working at the BOQ when the XO of the base retired and had his retirement party there in the summer or fall of 1977. He was a career 36 years Mustanger who had started out as a seaman recruit in early WWII and retired as full commander. I will look for a web site that shows some history of the base, the COs and XOs and the O Club and BOQ. I will check this web site out again for some added comments concerning what I have shared here. I lived right across the street from the main gate in some new apartments with my wife who also worked at the BOQ. jerryo

11. Sexy Pussy says:

Very good site. People love the drama, don’t they?

12. Hahaha! That’s funny! Me love your website!

13. Having read this I thought it was rather informative. I appreciate you taking the time and energy
    to put this short article together. I once again find
    myself personally spending a significant amount of time both reading
    and posting comments. But so what, it was
    still worth it!

14. Matt says:

Very interesting stuff! I am a General Contractor and we are bidding on a new project at building 30, which includes a hangar and until recently the east half of the building housed the Seattle Parks Commission. The old officers club was also in this building! What a sense of history walking through the space! There is a bar(still in pretty good shape) and a neat old fireplace area there too. Walking through I could almost here the Glen Miller playing, and smell the scotch and cigars… If any of you have some pictures of this special place as it once was I would love to see them! Best and Merry Christmas to all!

15. Jerry says:

Worked at the commissary in late 1984 only three months before moving on. Worked to place food orders under Lt. McGovern. Took the bus from Bellevue/University to 75th. and Sandpoint. Never realized how many memories the old place had.

16. Mi?o przeczyta? Twój post | Dzi?kuje – zapraszam do siebie | Ciekawa informacja | Zapraszam do mnie | To mi si? przyda ! | ?wietny blog – polecam! | Dobry blog | Wspania?y blogasek

17. I would like to point out my appreciation for your kind-heartedness in support of men who actually need help with this important question. Your very own dedication to getting the solution across appeared to be unbelievably interesting and has specifically permitted many people much like me to arrive at their desired goals. This insightful help means this much a person like me and a whole lot more to my colleagues. Best wishes; from each one of us.

18. predstar says:

????????????????? ? ????? [url=http://www.vostar.ru/servicesInfo.asp?id=4]??????????? ?????? ? ?????[/url]

19. To vend you absolute a little boxing ring, .INFO was absolute at hand 2001 on route to force let in the trammel of its older card-carrier the .COM. The .INFO animal kingdom public school has kicked abroad its training boat abstract has big into a very adequate establishment extension.

20. beachbody says:

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz

21. I graduate of Oxford University, England, Tim is now with the Laboratory for Computer Science ( LCS)at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology ( MIT).

22. Thanks for every one of your labor on this blog. My mum really loves going through internet research and it’s really simple to grasp why. A number of us know all concerning the lively tactic you provide insightful techniques via the web blog and even foster response from some others on that situation plus our own princess has been discovering a whole lot. Take advantage of the rest of the new year. You’re conducting a great job.

23. Matthew Kopsen says:

Thanks on your marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it, you could be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog and may come back later in life. I want to encourage you to continue your great job, have a nice weekend!Painting in Houston: Residential Painting, 8834 Andante Dr., Houston, TX 77040 – (281) 944-5450

24. Alisha says:

Thank you for every other informative website.
    Where else could I get that type of info written in such a perfect manner?
    I’ve a challenge that I am simply now operating on, and I’ve been on the look out for such info.