Past Post: Space Needle In Galaxy Gold

January 17th, 2008 @ 1:01 am by Cliffe | Sorted Past Post |
They called it “Galaxy Gold.” This was the original color of the space needle pagoda in 1962 when it opened for the World’s Fair. The garish orange hue was brought back in 2002 for the month of April to celebrate the 40th anniversary.
If you squint, the second card kind of makes it look like a hamburger on a stick. Check out these vintage 1962 postcards and let us all know if you prefer the current color or “Galaxy Gold.” Click on the thumbnails for larger images.
nolvadex steroids
buy diflucan where
needle_orange_01_front.jpg
Front: Eye Of The Needle
needle_orange_02_back.jpg
Back: Seattle’s New Look. A view of the Space Needle overlooking Lake Union and Lake Washington in background.
needle_orange_skyline_01_front.jpg
Front: Space Needle
needle_orange_skyline_02_back.jpg
Back: Space Needle — Seattle. The 600 feet high Space Needle which was built on the grounds of the Seattle World’s Fair in 1962 is the pride of Washington’ s large st city. Here is a cle ar aerial view of the Needle and the Monorail leading toward the downtown business district. The Eye of the Needle has an observation deck and a revolving restaurant which is operated by Western International Hotels.

27 Responses to “Past Post: Space Needle In Galaxy Gold”

1. I kind of like the garish orange. Caveat, however: I think the whole Space Needle needs to be orange, not just the top, otherwise it looks just plain silly!

2. blogazar says:

I love it in orange. I feel like other countries use bolder colors like these more than we do here. If you travel to many developing nations you see a lot of oranges, blues and greens. Its very retro, very 60′s.

The Orange on the Needle is very fitting for the 1960′s and as much as I appreciate the color, I am glad we have toned it down. Some people love to hate the needle and the orange certainly would not help! hehe.

3. didi says:

I love the garish. Nothing is fun without some bright gaudy color attached to it.

4. Holly says:

I vote for the “galaxy gold” — kind of enhances the whole flying saucer look.

5. Brian Lutz says:

It fit back in its day, but that color is about 25 years past the sell-by date now.

6. Cliffe says:

I’d be in favor of bringing it back permanently if the color was a little less saturated. As is, it reminds me a little of those old Houston Astro’s uniforms.

Cliffe

7. Galaxy Gold it is. What a great pair of postcards.

8. Clay says:

I can’t tell you how much I love the Space Needle.

Though… I do like it the color it is currently.

9. Anna says:

No, no galaxy gold, sorry, the white is better —no question

10. John says:

I wonder if Dick’s sponsored it to promote their cheeseburgers

11. blank says:

galaxy gold keeps it original

12. eric says:

The color is great bit is it it old.

13. eric says:

WHITE IS BETTER.

14. eric says:

WHITE WHITE WHITE WHITE WHITE WHITE WHITE WHITE WHITE WHITE

15. Steve hall says:

I like the Galaxy Gold!! I was given a dried piece of the paint as a child from my dad who was one the the two painters that painted it in 1962.

16. Sebby says:

I think it is a great color for the 60′s but now it would look just plain retarded.

17. I nearly spilled my espresso soon after seeing th is work. Wow!

18. savt says:

They’re painting it Galaxy Gold this week for this summer’s World’s Fair 50th Annivesary

19. Nancy Wagner says:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh……can’t we have a bit of color to brighten our gray skies?
    At first, I didn’t think I’d like it but it is interesting and changes depending on the sky color or the sun.
    I say let’s keep it that way for a few years.

20. Howdy very nice site!! Guy .. Excellent .. Wonderful .. I’ll bookmark your blog and take the feeds additionally¡KI’m satisfied to search out a lot of helpful info right here within the post, we’d like develop extra techniques on this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

21. Billy Black says:

It was painted in the colors of Milwaukee Road’s Olympian Hiawatha, the city’s most renowned passenger train. The Olympian was the best engineered and fastest ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

22. web cam sex says:

Perfect work, web cam sex discount [url=http://www.podomatic.com/profile/95554#1]web cam sex discount[/url], txjakl,

23. I’ve read through a few good stuff right here. Most certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise simply how much concentration you place to make like an amazing informative web page.

24. Great goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely wonderful. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it sensible. I can not wait to read much more from you. This is really a great site.

25. 931146 241163You?ve made various nice points there. I did specific search terms around the matter and found mainly individuals will believe your site 980400