S. L. Savidge Inc.

December 2nd, 2009 @ 12:10 am by Cliffe | Sorted Photo Exposure |
Here it is, folks. Max R. Jensen p rese
nts, the S.
nolvadex prescription
antibiotics online from us pharmacies
L. Savidge Chrysler / Plymouth / Dodge dealership — probably shot in the 1960′s. According to the Department of Neighborhoods this building went up in 1947-48 and served as
medicine pills drugs antibiotics types
the car dealership until the late 1970′s. What do you know — it’s still around today as a library facility. Click for higher res.
savidge_01
S. L. Savidge, Inc., 9th and Lenora St., Seattle, Washington 98121 — Chrysler – Plymouth — Dodge — Dodge Trucks. Serving Seattle Since 1926. Published for Max R. Jensen, Seattle, Wash.

16 Responses to “S. L. Savidge Inc.”

1. Dan says:

Love it, great building. Looks to be in the Streamline Moderne style with its curving corner and small porthole windows. And the Google maps location is almost identical to this photo.

2. Geoff says:

Many of the cars in the photo are more recent than the 1960s.

In fact, I’m pretty sure the blue car on the showroom floor is a 1973 Dodge Colt. (Compare with this image: http://imcdb.org/vehicle_19902-Dodge-Colt-1973.html)

Since Chrysler would be showing off their hot new car, I’d say this image was taken in 1972.

– Geoff

3. Joshua Daniel Franklin says:

Not just any library, Washington Talking Book and Braille Library. The corner “showroom” is still in use as a children’s area open to all children but specializing in services to those with vision loss.

4. Shannon says:

Yay! I have always wondered what this building was before it was the Braille Library! Love this building.

5. Colin says:

Such a cool building. It’s blue now right?

6. The sky above this scene is shockingly free of leasable floorspace.

7. Cliffe says:

Matt: Don’t tempt fate.

8. Jess: LOL. I didn’t meant the patch of sky above this building (long may birds fly there). I meant the sky “in general” above Seattle at that time. This shot looks straight into what is now shin-height on a number of glass and steel towers. It’s just odd to see nothing at all except the Westin there.

9. Paul Duca says:

This is something I’ve know about for years….there is a famous collection of record albums called “The Crusin’ Series”. They re-create classic Top 40 radio of the 1950′s and 60′s. Each album is a different year, with a different DJ in a different city….not only the songs, but on-air patter, commercials, promos, etc.
    The volume for 1966 features legendary KJR jock Pat O’Day–and he does a tag line after a Chrysler commercial referring to the S.L. Savidge Company

10. Talking Guy says:

Ownership has recently been transferred to the State of Washington, as they now operate the Washington Talking Book & Braille Library (as of 7/1/08); the Seattle Public Library’s Mobile Services division is still in the building (SPL used to operate the Braille library, too). Technically, it’s considered a condominium space now, and the Seattle Police Department uses the roof for parking.

11. Doug Sage says:

I spent quite a few summers hanging around downtown in the 60s at S.L. Savidge (my father worked there). Between the dealership and the Pike Place Market was great fun for a teenager. Mr. Savidge had a tremendous hunting collection that knocked me out (remember the grizzly bear?). It was the heart of the city, rock n roll was supreme and the cars all American.

12. Doug Sage says:

By the way, the building was designed by a famous group of architects still around today (NBBJ).

13. Joey says:

Brings back memories of my dad when he bought his 1971 Dodge Dart here!

14. hello there and thank you in your information ? I have certainly picked up anything new from proper here. I did on the other hand experience some technical issues the usage of this web site, as I skilled to reload the site a lot of times prior to I could get it to load properly. I had been pondering in case your hosting is OK? Now not that I am complaining, but slow loading cases times will often impact your placement in google and could injury your high quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I am including this RSS to my email and can glance out for much more of your respective interesting content. Ensure that you update this again soon..

15. Stephen McKinney says:

My Dad – Jerry McKinney worked here as a sales man from the 1960′s until the dealership closed in the late 1970′s. Back in the day, the dealership was closed on Sunday’s. I remember my Dad taking my and my friend and I down there when the dealership was closed. While he worked on his car in the service area, we had free run of the place. In that front window, there was a revolving car platform we would flip the switch on and rotate around in it in whatever new car they were showcasing at the time (the things you do when you’re 8). There were a network of “bank teller tubes” throughout the building that we would entertain ourselves with and my Dad kept a drawer full of change that we would raid and dine on cracker’s nuts, and soup broth from the vending machines in the employee break room. There was even a fire pole in the service bay that we would slide down. Good times, good times!

16. Stephen McKinney says:

@ Doug Sage – I have pictures of myself when I was 5 standing in front of that Grizzly Bear, next to the giant fish pond in the middle of the show room.