Reframe: Bellevue & Olive

February 8th, 2010 @ 12:03 am by Cliffe | Sorted Reframe |
Here’s a scene from Capital Hill that has changed very little over the years.
antibiotics online from us pharmacies
The Reframe shows Bellevue Ave and Olive Way — a bit of a blast from the past for me since I lived just a block from here a few years ago.
medicine pills drugs antibiotics types
buy diflucan where
A quick Google streetview look around the triangular buildings reveals that it is original (Westinghouse X-Ray at the time). The area around the Columbia Ale billboard looks like it was developed during the 50′s or 60′s. Click for the high res.
nolvadex prescription
nolvadex steroids
bellevue_olive_01
Bellevue Ave. and Olive Way, July 10, 1945. Photograph courtesy Seattle Municipal Archives.
Link to Google Street View

14 Responses to “Reframe: Bellevue & Olive”

1. Encolpius says:

Remarkably similar to the view today. It looks like there is a house located where the Starbucks is now. The perspective in the Google is a bit hard to match up. I wonder if the billboard was where the newer building and trees are, or if it extended in front of the apartment house next door?

2. GAM says:

I think that house is where Starbucks’ parking lot is now. I think the Starbucks building is barely visible to the left of the large house. Would it have been the Plaid Piper at this time?

3. Shannon C. says:

That house is confusing, perspective wise. It looks like it’s right at the intersection of Olive and Denny. Maybe somone could look it up on HistoricAerials? I can’t get that site to work here at my workplace, or else I would do it right now!

4. Julie Anne says:

I love that little triangle building that once was Westinghouse.

I adore oddly-shaped buildings.

5. Brad says:

Does anybody know what business is in the building just to the left of the beer billboard? I can’t make out the sign. The Crescent Tavern is there now.

6. Colin says:

It’s hard to make out that sign because the lamp post & size but I can see that the last part of the name is downie’s and the bottom looks like Camera or laundromat. Hard to tell with this picture

7. -Marty says:

Interesting how whenever one compares almost any old/vintage picture of Seattle
    with the same spot today, there is almost always MORE Trees in the current picture… Pioneer Square is a good example of this.

8. @Shannon:
    The Historic Aerials dataset for 1936 indeed shows a small house where the Starbucks parking lot is now. It was gone by 1968. The house in this shot looks larger, but I think a lot of that mass is the apartment building behind it.

About the house seeming to be in the intersection of Denny/Olive — keep in mind that those old lenses were shaped in a way that they compressed the field of view (behaving like telephoto lenses), while today’s lenses typically are built to do the opposite (show more periphery = wide angle). Witness the Google view, where you can’t even see the bend in the road because it’s “so far away”.

So in the image above, there is actually a severely compressed block or two between the bus parked on the right and the house in question. Denny is actually crossing immediately in front of the bus, I think. There’s a car or truck barely visible on Denny that has just crossed Olive heading west.

9. skye says:

the oddly shaped building turned into wingdome and is now the Saint

10. skye says:

the nearest car is at the corner of Summit and Howell

11. hello there and thank you for your information – I’ve definitely picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise several technical issues using this website, as I experienced to reload the website lots of times previous to I could get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your web host is OK? Not that I’m complaining, but slow loading instances times will sometimes affect your placement in google and can damage your high quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I’m adding this RSS to my email and can look out for a lot more of your respective intriguing content. Make sure you update this again very soon.| book cheap flight http://www.funtraveldeals.com/book-flights/

12. Il est possible de réserver un service de réveil par téléphone. Connu pour son style pop coloré, Jean-Charles de Castelbajac est un touche-à-tout. Au Japon, Sony, ainsi qu’au moins un autre mastodonte, serait en train de prendre ses marques. Question is how to leverage this knowledge for new designs/styles, and to improve existing line plans and product assortments. La nouvelle structure reconnaît également trois instances : les grands «Sommets », les Conférences ministérielles de la Francophonie et le Conseil permanent de la Francophonie. Je ne sais pas ce que vous croyez devant une camé–ža mais dans le cotidien les gens sont pas toujours aussi faciles. Trying to recompense, I find myself looking with different eyes at the space around me, asking myself how I can make the best use of the energy around me another side effect of my trip. polo ralph lauren http://www.cemafroid.fr/flash/poloralphlaurenpascher.asp

13. This is great post! Thanks for your help.

14. chubikins says: