Measuring Up At The Beach

May 12th, 2010 @ 12:08 am by Cliffe | Sorted Photo Exposure |
Perfect timing. Just as the one-piece has come back into style, Vintage Seattle reader Danae
sent in these fantastic photos of some old family friends at an unknown Seattle beach. The hairstyles and bathing suits are pretty stylish — I could see some of the higher cuts being worn today. Thanks Danae and take it away:
My name is Danae. I a am 5th generation Seattlite. My Grandma, nearing 80 and still living in Lake City, has wonderful stories and artifacts in her house. The other day I was going through some photos with her and found these snaps of girls on the beach in suits. She didn’t know any of the women but she said they were probably childhood friends of her mothers. I thought you might enjoy them. Unfortunately, I have no way of placing where they were taken. I especially love the one with the sailor that seems to be measuring a girls leg.

Thanks for your blog! Danae
seattle_beach_01
Women and sailor at the beach in Seattle. Photo courtesy Danae K.
seattle_beach_02
Women  at the beach in Se attle. Photo courtesy Danae K.

12 Responses to “Measuring Up At The Beach”

1. Colin says:

Oh my? risque! (Those are awkwardly transparent bathing suits) :o

2. The guy looks as if he were clipped out of a GI-Joe comic, like maybe he’s loading a howitzer. Look at the intensity on his face.

@Colin, I think the transparency of the suits is an effect of the erosion of the chemicals in the photographic paper over time.
    That’s a joke.

3. Shannon C. says:

@Matt, um, I don’t think so. I think they are that transparent. I can see the clear outlines of . . . stuff. . . under a few of those. Ahem!

So, any guesses on where this is, based on the building in the background? I think I can see boat masts in the background, so possibly a beach/marina?

4. Shannon C. says:

Oh, whoops, just now saw your “that’s a joke” comment! :)

5. Shannon, I was a-wondering if you had missed my disclaimer or if you were just gonna take me down. Good call on the masts, I hadn’t noticed them. I was looking at the gable and chimney(?) on the structure and trying to figure whether it could be Golden Gardens. Data as far back as 1936 says no, but it’s definitely someplace with a beach facing west. Mayhap somwhere around Alki?

6. Colin says:

I have family photos with the same type of bathing suits (you know what I mean) dated 1938.

7. Stever says:

I’m guessing he’s the local lifeguard (look at the shirt) and he’s “measuring” how far above the knee those racy swimsuits end. Anyone know if there were rules about that in the 30s or 40s?

8. Janet says:

Great photos. The fellow’s hat looks U.S. Navy so that would make the photo WW2. But suits like that were worn in the 1920′s. My uncles wore the male equivalents in the 1940′s – not transparent though.

9. ScottA says:

Looks like the girls are in front of an Alki beach building during a tide much lower than this photo. The building’s columns and parapet seem to match.

10. princess says:

I love old photos like this! So interesting!

11. sandma says:

i agree, the man is a lifeguard and he’s measuring the hight of the bathing suit above the knee. if it’s a private resort there could very well be dress code rules.