World’s Fair Sliding Pt. 3

July 6th, 2010 @ 12:14 am by Cliffe | Sorted Photo Exposure |
I hope everyone had an enjoyable July 4th weekend. Now we’re back and better than ever as we continue to present a goldmine of Seattle Center construction slides discovered by VS reader Josh Salwitz.
He was kind enough to send them in for all to see. This particular set highlights the Space Needle being built.
nolvadex prescription
cheap prescription zithromax
medicine pills drugs antibiotics types
Click the images for the higher res copy.
Click Seattle Center and Space Needle under construction, 1961-1962. Photo courtesy Josh Salwitz.

12 Responses to “World’s Fair Sliding Pt. 3”

1. Shannon C. says:

That first photo. . . is stunning. I am speechless. I need that as a poster.

2. Posterwise, I’m for number three. In all of these, I appreciate that the photographer positioned himself in relation to the sun so that the sky is maximum cobalt blue.

3. “Hey Larry, swing that I-beam over here, but watch out for those kids and the rest of the General Public strolling through the construction site, will ya?”

4. Cliffe says:

LOL @ Matt’s last comment. I’ve been marveling just how much foot traffic is going through the scene. Wow how times change regarding safety and lawsuits.

5. Louis says:

#4 strikes me. There is so much empty space around the construction site. “Some assembly required…”

6. TomK says:

With the amount of ordinary “civilians” roaming around in all of these pictures (including those in the previous threads), I wonder if these slides weren’t all taken during some kind of special “open house” event where the public was invited to come and witness all the world’s fair construction activity first-hand?

7. After costruction of the Needle started in April 1961, the public was allowed to come watch. It wasn’t until October that fair officials put a stop to that, for safety reasons. These pictures with people are probably from around September or October, because the disc section of the Needle wasn’t complete until November.

8. Rachel says:

When are they going to return the Needle to its original colors? It’s not supposed to be white, as shown here.

9. Steve says:

Wasn’t the top of the needle repainted orange a while ago to commemorate an anniversary? (25th? 30th?)

10. Steve says:

Ah…40th anniversary in 2002. The internet is your friend, Steve… ;)

11. I like the first pic best too, but I’ll admit, my gaze quickly shifted downward at the old cars. :-)

12. Mumblix Grumph says:

These are sensational! Thank you so much for sharing them.