Reframe: 34th Ave S & Dose Terrace

October 1st, 2010 @ 12:29 am by Cliffe | Sorted Reframe |
We haven’t done a Reframe since March so here goes.
medicine pills drugs antibiotics types
Today we are Reframing 34th Ave S & Dose Terrace in Seattle’s Mount Baker neighborhood. The vintage shot comes from March of 1935 and today’s angle is courtesy Google street view.
buy diflucan where
The home to the left is no longer with us but if you head down 34th in street view you can see that the house to the right
antibiotics online from us pharmacies
is both beautiful and still around.
cheap prescription zithromax
Click it.
Click Dose Terrace and 34th Ave S, March 8th, 1935. Photograph courtesy Seattle Municipal Archives.
Link to Present View on Google Street View

11 Responses to “Reframe: 34th Ave S & Dose Terrace”

1. Colin says:

What a piece of junk that’s on that lot now! Such a shame.

2. Levi says:

Colin, I was thinking the exact same thing. The old house has a certain Anhalt quality to it, but the new one is just sad. Looks like Sandford & Son.

3. I like the old house, but can you really defend your front door from armed assault from a turret like that, especially if the parapets are filled in? Maybe you could just heckle people from up there until they went away?

4. Colin says:

I couldn’t find anything about the old house but I do know that this area had serious landslide problems in 1935 from record rainfall the previous December. A Seattle Times article even mentioned this particular intersection.

The current house was built in 1976.

5. Martha says:

I wonder what the tape is for in the old picture. Notice it on the garage door and placed elsewhere in the yard and landscaping. Maybe it was sliding then. Beautiful neighborhood.

6. Martha, I bet it was sliding then. Jess notes that this image is from 1935, the same year Colin mentions. Also, the city took a lot of photographs of its repair projects (there’s a database online, but I’ve forgotten its URL) and this could be one of those. The database is full of shots of street drains with tantalizing half-views of houses nearby. If this was taken by the city engineers, we’re lucky the houses are fully in the picture.

7. Colin says:

Thanks Matt.

By the way. Did everyone know that King County now has photos in their property info databases (imap etc.). This includes historic pictures from as early as 1939. So far they only have for residential structures and even then not every house has one.

The only catch is that they are not scans. It seems like some guy took one picture of each property card and whether or not it came out right posted it anyway. Some pics of pics are so blurry it hurt my eyes. Hopefully this is just a placeholder for future hi-q scans.

8. Yeah I’m partial to the way it used to look as well. A shame that house is no longer there, I can’t see someone making a conscientious decision to tear it down.

9. Matt the Engineer says:

It looks like most of that (not sure about the garage piece) isn’t tape – it’s a strange and ugly gutter system to get water from the roof out to the street (ok, where the street should be). Of course this also indicates an attempt to stop sliding.

10. QuestorCanuck says:

Too late to stop the sliding as this looks like a damage photo. The sidewalk, by the fireplug, has been undercut and both curbs have dropped. Most of the front yard has subsided (look at the lawn towards the second house) and part of the garden has slipped into the driveway. They were either expecting this deluge or built the gutters and flume in a hurry as the one by the front door crosses the steps, likely a temporary installation. A gap appeared, at the bottom of the steps (looks like blocks under the bottom step), and that drain was separated when the yard dropped. The house still looks vertical, I wonder if it was stable and saved.

11. Zauberer says:

Attractive component of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to claim that I get actually loved account your weblog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing for your augment and even I success you access constantly fast. Zauberer http://www.8768gug66ftf4.com