Rendering J.C. Penney 1964
February 1st, 2011 @ 12:07 am by Cliffe | Sorted Historic Buildings |
Scope out lengendary Seattle architecture firm John Graham & Company’s beautiful acrylic on board rendering of the J.C. Penney’s at Northgate Mall from 1964. As you may know and for better or worse, the modern American mall concept was born right here in our city.
According to U.W. University Libraries Digital Collection:
John Graham Jr.
received international recognition for his large scale shopping complexes.
Combining architectural skill with business acumen, Graham helped shape Seattle’s commercial environment after World War II. Born in Seattle to architect John Graham Sr., Graham Jr. enrolled in the University of Washington’s architecture program in 1926. Transferring to Yale in 1928, Graham graduted with a degree in fine arts four years later and initially pursued a career in merchandising rather than architecture.
When John Graham Sr.
retired in 1946, Graham Jr. took over his father’s architecture firm. When the post-World War II economy spurred suburban growth and expansive commercial development in King County, Graham, groomed in retail management, recognized the potential for innovative design strategies. With an initial collaboration with department store owner Rex Allison, Graham conceived the model for the suburban shopping center. That model was first realized with Northgate Shopping Center, whose key elements included a large scale complex with a combined concentration of shops, abundant parking and easy highway access. When Graham decided to enclose the entire complex, the modern mall was born. Founded in 1902 by James Cash Penney and William Henry McManus, JCPenny was chosen as the official name of original dry goods stores in 1913 when Penney accepted a majority ownership of the chain. Drawing show’ s an alternate name for the department
store, propably an appellation used by the architect and not representative of the original signage.
Architectural drawing of J.C. Penney’s Department Store at Northgate Mall (Seattle, Washington). March 1964. Acrylic on board by John Graham & Company. Image courtesy U.W. University Libraries Digital Collection.