Jensen’s Excursion Line

July 22nd, 2011 @ 12:20 am by Cliffe | Sorted Photo Exposure |
Click Puget Sound Excursion Line, Inc. Operating four U.S. Coast Guard inspected vessels. Available for charter to large and small groups, Salmon Bakes, San Juan Isl and Excursions, Seafair Races, and football games. Equipped with spacious open decks, ship-to-shore radio record player, public address system, juke box, piano, dance area and galley for food service. Photo by Max R. Jensen.

10 Responses to “Jensen’s Excursion Line”

1. Jana says:

THAT’s what summer in Seattle is supposed to look like!

I see the phone number as AT2-8707 . . . and was trying to remember how we said it – Atwater keeps coming to mind but probably because I’m looking at water. Anybody remember any of the other phone number names in Seattle?

2. Jana says:

(I found a way to answer my own question here http://www.uneeda-audio.com/stuff/tel_pfxs.htm )

3. booboo says:

This photo reminds me of taking the Virginia V to Camp Sealth for Campfire Girls/Bluebirds camp. First time I was away from home, getting SO homesick at night when they would play taps.

Years later, local bands would rent it out for a rockin’ fun cruise on Lake WA and Lake Union… a much better memory :D

4. Marty Dawg says:

My Dad used to get ticked off whenever people called her the Virginia VEE, always stressed that she was the 5th boat of the name. I remember being awakened when she’d go Ft Ward on Bainbridge with loads of partiers
    As far as prefixes went, ADams(23-), ALpine(25-), ATwater(28-), CHerry(24-), EAst(32-), EMerson(36-), LAkeview(52-), LIncoln(54-), MAin(62-), MElrose(63-), MUtual(68-), PRospect(778 & 776), VIking(842), WEst(93-)
    When we were planning on buying a pub near Green Lake in 1986, we were going to have all our stationery, cards, & matchbooks say MElrose- since my partners & I grew up with the old Seattle exchanges.

5. Jana, down by Chace’s Pancake Corral in Bellevue we were Glencourt: prefixes were GL4 and GL5.

6. Sean says:

I see the W.T. Preston peeking over the shop. I used to love seeing the sternwheeler on the Sound – it always reminded me of the Mark Twain at Disneyland. I was thrilled to run across it in Anacortes and to finally be able to go aboard and see what it was like inside.

7. Huzzah for insisting on Virginia FIVE. It was built in 1921, but the engine is a 1902 triple expansion built at Heffernan Iron Works in wht is now the Pioneer Square area. It was out of the Virgina IV, formerly the Tyrus.

Next time you see it in operation, make the vee for victory or peace sign with your left hand, and hold up your right hand with the finger spread. It’s “vee 5.” Presuming I’m on board and not in the below deck portion of the engine room, I promise to acknowledge the salute.

Oh, and I concur with the phone exchange letters. But add:
    SU (SUnset,78) Ballard and Loyal Heights. Also RO (ROckwell, 76) SW Seattle, White Center. If anyone wants the rest of the prefix territories, ask me.

8. Wait! I meant vee with the right hand and 5 with the left, so as to be correctly done for those viewing the sign.
    Oh well. At least I don’t mix up port and starboard…

9. Dave says:

Didn’t see anybody else mention it, but it looks like in the picture the Virginia V is pulling into the east end of the large Chittenden locks.

The Virginia V is currently docked near the Center for Wooden Boats and still charters and is occasionally open the public.

10. Joan says:

I just saw the Virginia V today in Olympia. What a coincidence.