The View From The Needle 1962

August 2nd, 2011 @ 12:04 am by Cliffe | Sorted Photo Exposure |
Click Photo shows a view south toward downtown Seattle from the Space Needle. The tracks for the Monorail run toward downtown. The edge of the observation platform is visible at the bottom of the photo. 1962. Image courtesy Washington State Digital Archives.

28 Responses to “The View From The Needle 1962”

1. BrendanMcK says:

It’s rare that you can pin a photo to a specific date, but this was probably taken on Feb 8th (or perhaps the day before, depending on how one counts) 1962; a sign on top of the Securities Building (the one just this side of The Bon) claims that it’s 72 days till Century 21, which opened April 21, 1962.

2. Jeff says:

The Cornelius looks like it’s still there.

3. Tyler says:

With all the development in that part of downtown, it seems like this would be a great image to try to do a “then and now” sort of comparison with.

4. Ron says:

I was really hoping to get a look at the Doghouse Restaurant way back then.
    It’s just out of view on the left.

5. Jason says:

I want that traffic in downtown Seattle! It is worse than that now at any point in the day/night I’m sure.

6. Cascadian says:

Not only can you pin this to the exact day, you can pin it to the exact minute. 12:37 PM, on the same sign.

7. Pete says:

Fun to spot Seattle’s hottest nightclub circa 1962: the top of the sign (“5″) for Dave’s Fifth Avenue Tavern (112 5th Ave N.) can be seen at the very bottom / center. Formerly a serious jazz room, during the fair it featured rock ‘n’ roll by the Frantics and then rock & R&B with the Dave Lewis Trio.

8. jim civarra says:

Speaking of old night clubs on 5th Avenue, is the old Trojan Horse in the picture? I can’t remember if it was open then – somewhere around Lenora?

9. Pete says:

And: the big building at bottom left corner is the bowling alley that later was converted to the Cirque Playhouse dinner theater, and later became all-age dance venues: OZ & Skoochies — all of which I wrote more about in this HistoryLink essay:

10. This is pretty awesome, compare this to a night photo I took in the same location (at night) just a few months ago:

11. Sam says:

@Ron: The Dog House is actually in the picture; well, about 99% of it is. Left-hand side, about a third of the way down. You can spot the four Dog House billboards in the south parking lot and even the words “Dog House” on the outside of the building (on the VERY edge of the photo).

12. Yes, the Cornelius is among the many buildings in this image that are still standing. Lots of wonderful stuff here. Water tower!!

13. wafflesnfalafel says:

Great shot of the Chief Sealth statue out in front of the 5point Cafe (bottom right.) It’s amazing how little ‘green’ there was in the early 60s, no trees anywhere. And I never knew there was a Pontiac dealership right downtown there off 5th.

14. Allen says:

Can anyone else spot the house in this picture?

15. jim civarra says:

Found it. It appears to be in the middle of the block behind (north and east of) the Cornelius Hotel. What a survivor. There were actually a few others on the fringes of downtown in those days. But the freeway and other types of “progress” finished most of them off.

16. Allen says:

There was still a house down near the market until just a few years ago. It was across from Cost Plus at the North end of the market. Some friends of mine lived in it for a couple of years shortly before it was demolished.

17. paul says:

Not sure what the large apartment/condo building is called today in the forefront of this photo. However, it is an interesting building to me in that it was one of the first large apartment buildings built in the regrade in the early 60′s. I can’t help but believe there were plans for additional similar buildings, but never built. It wasn’t until the mid and late 70′s that regrade highrises started up.

18. jim civarra says:

That building in the foreground was originally called the Grosvenor House, and it was built in the 50s. It was a pretty distinguished address for awhile. I think Dave Beck lived there. And it had a fancy restaurant called The Grove on the first floor.

19. LC3 says:

We need an update! I come back every day hoping for something new! :) pretty please…

20. paul says:

Thanks, Jim. You are correct, the Grosvenor House was built well before the fair. Probably late 50′s? I have looked it up online and evidently it has a checkered recent history as residential. Perhaps someone can come in and gut the place and make it great again.

21. jim civarra says:

The Grosvenor House is currently a retirement home. A couple of my aunts lived there in the 90s.

22. I may not be looking at it right, but I can’t make my eyes see water around the statue of old Noah, even though it is (now, at least) a fountain. It looks like he’s standing in vegetation, or atop a cake. What gives?

Also, I see that the Cornelius legend says “Hotel” and not “Apts”.

23. TomK says:

I believe Grosvenor House has had a name change to something trendier sounding and is now condos without an age restriction.

24. TomK says:

My mistake. It’s not condos, it’s apartments. But it is now called “Archstone Belltown”, and it does appear that it’s no longer strictly for seniors.

25. paul says:

I still maintain this building can be more than it is. It will take a great investment, but this location could be a luxury location if someone came in and gutted it with new construction. But I’m no expert, and perhaps the better route would be to demolish and re-construct. Don’t know. I do know it is a fabulous location.

26. paul says:

I still maintain this building can be more than it is. It will take a great investment, but this location could be a luxury location if someone came in and gutted it with new construction. But I’m no expert, and perhaps the better route would be to demolish and re-construct. Don’t know. I do know it is a fabulous location, especially with the new 99 config.

27. Hi there! I just wish to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you’ve got here on this post. I will be coming again to your blog for extra soon.