Pan-Am @ Seatac

April 4th, 2012 @ 12:25 am by Cliffe | Sorted Miscellaneous |
Click Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, one of the busiest air terminals of the U.S.A. Seen loading on right the tall tail of a Pan-American 707 Jetliner, on the landing strip a Trans-Canada DC3, the old workhorse, and to the left a conventional Western Airlines plane. What a contrast between the old and new in passenger aviation! Color photo by Max R. Jensen. Circa 1960′s.

12 Responses to “Pan-Am @ Seatac”

1. I remember that ob-deck, back in the days when they wanted you to park the car, come inside and actually hang out and HAVE FUN at the airport, wave your loved one off at the window. Is it even there anymore?

2. Jeff says:

I remember that too. If you wanted, you could just come down to the airport and hang out and watch planes!

3. Gerry Bockus says:

dear ol’ Pandemonium World Scareways! Would love to see pics of PAA seaplanes.
    many thanks
    GB

4. The 3rd, 4th and 8th photos on this page (http://www.portseattle100.org/properties/main-terminal) at the Port of Seattle’s Website are illustrative of what I recall. There has been a new structure built facing the runways in the last few years, an addition that I believe put paid to the two observation decks completely, since there would no longer be anything to observe from them. I can’t see them on Bing. Oh well, not like I was going to rush the guards and try to get up there. Like with my camera, I mean. For just a nostalgia shot…what…Why are you guys looking at me like that?

5. LC3 says:

Very cool

6. wafflesnfalafel says:

Nice shot – I miss PanAm and going down to the airport just to watch the planes. Can you imagine a group of teens trying to hangout at Seatac now? They’d all be detained in about 12 seconds…

7. seandr says:

I didn’t think they had Photoshop back then, but that perfectly blue sky tells me otherwise.

8. The Plumber says:

I remember my favorite when I was a kid was NW. We couldn’t wait for those “Flying banana’s” (yellow 707′s) to fly in.

9. Paul says:

This appears to be in the era just when jet transport was coming into play, probably 1960 or 1961. Sea-Tac was still just starting to build concourses with “jetways”, and those would indeed be in place by 1962 or so. But this photo shows the planes still docking on the tarmac, and so this is a rare photo. Pan Am, one of the great airlines in the 50′s/60′s called Seattle one of their great destinations. A different era, for sure.

10. Nigel Lott says:

Hi I am ex Pan Am London Heathrow, 1967-1980, old friend of Ray Sly. I’m living in Seattle now, anybody out there from the good old days, send me an email or call 206.769.6725

11. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on %meta_keyword%. Regards| book flights ticket http://www.funtraveldeals.com/book-flights/

12. you got a nice picture and cartier love bracelet ?imitation cartier love bracelet