July 13th, 2011 by Cliffe | Sorted Historic Buildings | 4 Comments »
Another John Graham Deco gem, like this 1932 study
. Not built, if only… Click for the high res copy.
Architectural study of proposed development for Second Avenue, Seattle.
1925-1935 by John Graham & Company. Image courtesy University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections Division.
June 8th, 2011 by Cliffe | Sorted Photo Exposure | 5 Comments »
x R. Jensen presents the M.
V. Wickersham, a 1967 ferry from the Alaska Marine Highway.
A complete history on this beauty is availabe here
. In 2001, after 34 years of service, the vessel was sold for scrap in Turkey (photo here
M. V. Wickersham, is the newest ship of the Alaska Marine Highway.
The 363 ft. vessel, purchased from Sweden at a cost of $7 million, complements the fleet of State ferries travelling in Alaska.
It is named after the late, highly respected Alaska pioneer, Judge James Wickersham. Color photo by Max R. Jensen.
June 3rd, 2011 by Cliffe | Sorted Photo Exposure | 3 Comments »
The “Seattle Pier” shot comes from Marion Dean Ross
in May of 1972.
Click for higher resolution.
Seattle Waterfront Pier,
May 24, 1972. Photo by Marion Dean Ross. Image courtesy University of Oregon Libraries, Architecture of Oregon & the Pacific Northwest.
May 27th, 2011 by Cliffe | Sorted Photo Exposure | 3 Comments »
All star contributor Allen was kind enough to send in yet another fantastic photo of early Seattle. This time around you can see the fireboat “Duwamish” at Firehouse No.
5 at the foot of Madison in Downtown Seattle.
The clarity of the photo is impressive — and such a great little nugget of Seattle history. Thanks Allen! Click for the high res.
May 24th, 2011 by Cliffe | Sorted Photo Exposure | 22 Comments »
This is the third in our series of “Home of the Huskies” postcards and the second aerial from Max R.
Jensen. Click here
for the first and here
for the second.
Which hardcore Husky fan can pin down a year on this one
? Click below for the high res Husky goodness.
Beautifully situated on Lake Washington in Seattle is the modern Stadium of the University
of Washington and the Hec Edmundson Pavilion, Home of the Huskies.
Ektachrome by Max R. Jensen.
May 18th, 2011 by Cliffe | Sorted Photo Exposure | 14 Comments »
Frequent Vintage Seattle contributor Allen
was kind enough to send in this 1912 photograph of Cal Anderson Park (then known as Lincoln Park and later Broadway Playfield). Check out his flickr link here
as well as Wikipedia’s 1919 shot here
. Click for the 2.6 meg full res copy.
May 12th, 2011 by Cliffe | Sorted Photo Exposure | 6 Comments »
Below find Max R.
Jensen’s take on the opulent Olympic Hotel lobby.
The card is undated but most likely from the 1960′s. Click for the higher res copy.
Here, at the Olympic Western Hotel, Seattle,
the elegance, the exquisite good taste of the main lobby greets you with the first warm welcome that you will enjoy throughout your stay at this world-famous hotel. Color photo by Max R.
May 6th, 2011 by Cliffe | Sorted Historic Buildings | 5 Comments »
Seattle’s Rainier Club, built in 1904, is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Below find Bebb & Gould’s 1928 architectural rendering of a new wing addition that was completed in 1929.
Click for the high res image.
Architectural drawing of alterations & additions for the Rainier Club. Architect: Bebb & Gould, 1928. The Rainier Club was founded by Judge Thomas Burke, E.M. Carr, and W.A. Peters as a social club and boarding house for men in 1888. The current building was erected in the early 1900′s. It was designed by Spokane-based architects Kirtland K. Cutter and Karl G. Malmgren in the Jacobean-style and modeled after Aston Hall in Birmingham, England.
Beginning in 1919, architect Carl F. Gould designed several additions to the club, including a complementary south wing and a new entrance in 1929.
Image courtesy U.W. University Libraries Digital Collection.